When looking for a dirt bike for your 10-year-old, you are probably concerned about their safety. That is why we have compiled this list of some of the best dirt bikes for kids. You are probably wondering how you could even get a dirt bike that is safe your child, but there are a few qualities to consider when looking for a bike:
1. Tire Size: It is often thought that a bigger tire size helps to get around or over tough obstacles which would make it less likely to fault when hitting a larger bump or rock, but having a larger tire size actually compromises a young riders ability to maneuver their bike. A larger tire is often heavier and harder to turn. If you want your child to have more control over their vehicle, we suggest going for a small to medium tire size. Once they have proved their ability to control their bike well with their current tire size you can look to upgrade larger.
2. CC Value and throttle control: Engines with a lower CC regularly come with safety features on them to limit the amount of speed created by the rider. This is called a ‘Throttle Limiter Screw’. This screw is placed into the Throttle Cable in the handlebar of the bike and restricts how deeply the throttle can be pressed, thus resulting in a restriction of speed. This attachment is nice to have until your young rider gets used to controlling the bike at certain speeds. You can loosen the Throttle Limiter Screw to new restrictions every time your young rider gets used to their top speed so you are comfortable knowing your child will have appropriate control of their bike.
3. Brand: If you are planning on just starting out, it is best to pick a brand that you can stick with for the long haul. As your child grows and needs a bigger bike it is best to stay within the same brand, so they don’t have to re-learn a new bike every time you upgrade. Brands usually have very similar tech and set-ups on each of their bikes, so when you go to size up your child will be able to get used to their new bike faster. You can usually find a brand that offers the same bike in a wide range of CC’s so that you can stick to the same family of bikes throughout the growth of your child.
Now that you have an idea of some of the important qualities to look for in a child’s dirt bike, its time to compare some of the top brands in motorsports so you can narrow out what choice is best for you and your child. This list consists of the top choices of children’s dirt bikes in some of the industry’s leading companies.
Tao Tao DB 124cc Dirt Bike
This bike is perfect for the young beginner, as it is low in price yet features a lot of technology that you would regularly find on a more expensive bike. This bike has a 4-speed manual transmission, your child will have the ability to take it slow or kick it in to high gear for some real fun!
Your child will love this bike’s variety of colors like blue, green, orange, red, and white.
You can count on the front and rear hydraulic disk brakes to safely halt your child’s machine without hesitation.
An air cooled engine ensures that this bike will be ready to go any time you’re child is ready.
- Seat height: 34 inches
- Transmission: manual
- Wheel size: 17” front/ 14” rear
- Motor size: 125cc
MSRP: $1,299.95 USD
This bike is at the top of its game for child size fun. With a seat height of only 26.4 inches, it is the perfect dimension for your 10-year-old. Don’t worry about accessibility, because even though the seat is low you will still get 7.1 inches of ground clearance.
If your child isn’t familiar with shifting gears just yet, this bike will be the perfect introduction with it’s 4- speed auto-clutch transmission.
Your child will be able to channel their creativity with this racing style bike that sports Team Yamaha- inspired colors and graphics that mimic the larger YZ lineup.
For more comfort and ease of mind, Yamaha added large folding Grippy foot pegs so you wont have to worry about your child’s foot slipping off the peg when in wet or muddy conditions.
With smaller sized tires and wheels your child will have full control of their machine while still being able to maneuver through anything with an appropriate ground clearance.
• Seat Height: 26.4 inches
• Transmission: Automatic Clutch
• Wheel Size: 14” front/ 12” rear
• Motor Size: 110cc
MSRP: $2,299.00 USD
X-Pro Hawk 150
This dirt bike is a great introduction piece for young riders that want the most out of their bike. Although it has a low price, the Hawk 150 sports a variety of features that are most commonly find on a more expensive bike.
The 5- Speed manual transmission will keep your rider in full control of their bike. If your child is a speed demon, they won’t be disappointed with the 149cc engine capable of reaching speeds of 55 miles per hour.
The brakes on this bike were built for safety. With front and rear hydraulic disk brakes you can expect a quicker stop than other types of brakes.
At a 32- inch seat height, this bike is perfect for any child to ride.
- Seat Height: 32 inches
- Transmission: Manual Clutch
- Tire Size: 19” front/ 16” rear
- Motor Size: 149cc
MSRP: $1299.95 USD
Your child will love this easy to use bike. With an electric push- button starter it will be easy for your young rider to start by themselves with no trouble. The four stroke automatic clutch transmission will be easy to operate and handle.
At a seat height of just 25.9 inches, this bike was made for little legs and your child will appreciate not struggling to reach the ground. And, with a ground clearance of 6.7 inches your child won’t struggle to maneuver through some tough terrain.
If you are looking for a bike where you can control the throttle until your young rider gets used to each speed, you are in luck with this bike. The CRF110F comes with an adjustable throttle limiter so you can match the power output to the rider’s skill level.
- Seat Height: 25.9 inches
- Motor Size: 109cc
- Ground Clearance: 6.7 inches
- Transmission: automatic clutch
MSRP: $2,499.00 USD
If you are still unsure about your child’s safety when considering letting them learn how to ride a dirt bike, there are some other options. For a true unskilled beginner, an Electric dirt bike might be a good route for you and your child.
Electric dirt bikes are great for children, that is why they make them very small for young children. However, they do make larger electric dirt bikes that perform just as well and are a little safer for your young rider.
The reason electric dirt bikes are so great for children is that they are not hot. It would be impossible for your child to burn themselves on an exhaust pipe or any other part of the bike.
Electric dirt bikes are also a lot lighter than a combustion engine bike. This will help your child get used to controlling the bike well before switching to a heavier combustion bike.
Another great quality of an Electric dirt bike is that you have the ability to really control the power. This will help a timid child get used to the power output step by step so that they can build their confidence riding with each speed. Electric dirt bikes are typically slower than combustion engine bike, so this will make it easy for your child to learn on.
Electric dirt bikes also don’t require you to shift. This is great for a beginner because they can focus on the actual riding and control first and get comfortable on their bike before having to worry about learning to shift gears.
Again, if you have a more timid child an Electric dirk bike is a great choice because they aren’t as loud. This will help your child not be afraid of their bike at first, and also allow them to practice more if you have a yard big enough because they won’t be annoying your neighbors.
Here are a few great choices of electric dirt bikes:
Razor MX350 Dirt Rocket
The Razor Dirt Rocket is the perfect choice if you are considering an electric bike for your child. With award winning praise from Sports Illustrated for Kids, this dirt bike is perfect for a child who wants to learn to ride and live their off-road dreams.
The Electric motor will allow your child to ride for 30 minutes un-interrupted. And with soft rubber grips, adjustable handlebars, retractable kickstands, and a cushioned seat your child will be sitting in comfort during their entire ride.
The 12-inch tires are perfect for a child who is just learning because it will be easy for them to maneuver. And with a top speed of 14 miles per hour your mind will be at ease as your little one learns to control their bike one step at a time.
- Top Speed: 14 miles per hour
- Battery: 24 Volt rechargeable battery
- Battery Life: 30 minutes
MotoTec 1000w Lithium Pro Electric Dirt Bike
This bike is a great choice if you really want to help your child control their speed. With an adjustable variable knob, you will be able to control top speeds between 5 and 18 miles per hour.
The disc brakes on the front and rear tires are the same as a combustion engine bike, so it will be easy for you child to adapt when you upgrade them.
With a nine-mile range, a seat height of 24.4 inches and a ground clearance of an outstanding 10 inches, this bike will be sure to show peak performance when taken off road.
- Motor: 1000 Watt
- Range: 9 miles
- Seat Height: 24.4 inches
- Ground Clearance: 10 inches
There are plenty of options to keep your 10-year-old happy when choosing a safe and efficient dirt bike for them. Whether they have some riding experience or just starting out, there is a great range of products that will keep you happy with the safety features you desire and keep your young rider happy with the performance and comfortable handling. Hopefully this article will help give you some ideas for the perfect type and brand of bike for your young rider to feel confident as they learn and adapt to riding a dirt bike.